sábado, 3 de mayo de 2008

Etymology of Zen

Just to clarify, when I use the phrase Moment of Zen to refer to the five-minute break we have between the first and second hour of class time, I am borrowing the phrase, and the concept, from a popular US comedy/news show called The Daily Show. At the end of each show, they show a funny video clip introduced by the phrase, ¨And now, your Moment of Zen.¨

While the etymological origin of the word Zen comes from the practice of meditation, the phrase ¨Moment of Zen¨ is a purely secular pop-culture reference. Click on the following links for possible definitions of the word zen, as used in everyday parlance: Urban Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, Meta-filter.

I hope it is clear that I am not, in fact, trying to make you into devout Japanese Buddhist monks. I just want to have everyone in class take 5 minutes for themselves to do whatever it is they need to do: go to the bathroom, stretch, eat some food, talk to their neighbor, etc. I also feature a five-minute selection of music in English relating to the course theme of the day, for those who choose to stay at their seats. Research shows that a short break helps students to maintain focus.

I suppose I could just call this time a five minute break, or a ´Freedom Hiatus,´ just as I could call our Word on the Street a ´daily quotation.´ But I don´t do it that way. Why? Because I´m eccentric.

...And now, here´s your Moment of Zen.

Feel free to post here or to speak with me personally if you have any questions, queries, concerns or comments. As always, the only ¨rules¨ for posting are to please try to write in English and be respectful of others.

No hay comentarios: